I still cannot figure out the actual reasons which makes one hate Apple, as if Apple did something to people who hate it! Sometimes, I think that, do they hate if because it usually gets a lot of popularity from media? In that case, the popularity is not something Apple pays for. It’s products are not cheap which after all that media hype, fails to impress actual users. I will write my take on this issue in multiple posts.
I remember once, one of my friends posting an article where the article was talking about “Apple screwing its customers” The article was for some insane reason, bashing Apple for changing the screws on iPhone. Now, what is that? I don’t think companies are supposed to use the same screws. How does that affect end user? Don’t say that the users will not be able to open up their phones.
One of the reasons, I hear is that “Apple products are priced way too much”. This statement is usually accompanied with some analogies. I definitely agree on this in case of Macs, they are indeed price steeply. Nevertheless, the other products are not priced as such. A case in point is iPad2.
Let’s compare the price of tablets from Apple and Motorola.
- iPad2 comes in 16, 32, 64 gigs / Xoom comes only in 32 gigs as of now
- iPad2 32 gigs is priced as $599 / Xoom is priced at $599
- iPad2 display is 9.7 inches / Xoom display is 10.1 inches
- iPad2 display is 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi) / Xoom display is 1280x 800 pixels; 150 pixels / inch), HD 720p
- iPad2 has 1 GHz dual-core A5 processor / Xoom has 1 GHz dual-core processor
- iPad2 has dual camera, though MP information is not there on specs / Xoom has dual camera, back camera is 5 MP and front 2 MP
- iPad2 camera has HD video recording capability / Xoom has no such information on its specs
- iPad2 is 601 grams / Xoom is 708 grams
- iPad2 has 25 W-hr battery / Xoom has 24 W-hr battery
- iPad2 has 10 hours of surfing over Wi-Fi or video playback / Xoom has 10 hours of surfing over Wi-Fi or video playback. Though Xoom has 3.3 days of mp3 playback
- iPad supports HE-AAC (V1 and V2), AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV playback formats / Xoom supports AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, ACC+ Enhanced, OGG, MIDI, AMR NB, AAC+
- Technical specs are same for iPad2 and Xoom
- Weight increases proportionally for both of them
- iPad2 with Verizon 3G is priced at $729 / Xoom with Verizon 3G is priced at $799
- iPad2 is also available from At&T on 3G
Do you still think that Apple always demands way too much price for its products?